Friday, March 26, 2010

Blogging through The Orthodox Heretic day 31

What is a miracle? Today's parable retells the story of a blind man who is healed by Jesus... only he still is physically blind. As the crowd questions him, he keeps telling them that he was blind, but now he sees.

So what constitutes a miracle? And what does it mean "to see?" Some 22 years ago I had a stark confrontation with my own mortality and the limits of the human body. I was diagnosed with heterozygous familial hyperlipidemia and told that they were unsure if the newly developed meds would help and that if they didn't, I should get my affairs in order. After a few months of serious depression, I began to see and experience life in a different way... a wonderful way. Many folk prayed for me. I still have the condition, but the meds work well for me.

Coincidentally, a church member was diagnosed with the same thing within a few months of me. He was about the same age and had a very similar life situation. Many folk prayed for him. He too experienced a new "seeing" of life. He died a few years later from complications of the disorder.

Were there miracles involved here? If so, what were they? And who experienced them?

No comments: