Tuesday, February 19, 2008

cool product

Guitar players are often gear whores... we have this myth that if we just purchase the correct equipment we'll become stars. So we go through lots of different guitars, amps, accessories (ask my wife, she can tell you how many guitars and amps I've gone through)... The problem is that while many are great, they are not qualitatively different from the one you just sold, and then you wish you had the old one back - boy I wish I had that '68 tele back and the '64 Deluxe Reverb and the '70 Marshall 50 and the...

Well, I came across a wonderful little product that is great and truly is qualitatively different. I had been using ivory picks made from old piano keys. They sound great and feel great but they are expensive, inconsistent, and hard to find. One of the guitar websites that I frequent has had a lot of buzz about a new pick company (how boring can you get?) with picks made of acrylic. Frankly, I wasn't expecting much and didn't plan to order any. When I visited NAMM, V-Picks had a booth and were handing out free samples. Their picks aren't cheap for picks - $4, but they're a lot less than my ivory ones. So, I picked one up, not expecting to be impressed. I was. It is great! It sounds great. It feels great. I like it as much or more than the ivory picks and it is 1/5th the price or less and it looks as if it will last a very long time. So I ordered some more including some of their acoustic models which have a slightly different bevel. Again, I didn't expect much. I knew that different materials sound different, but different bevels? Well, they are completely different and I am thrilled to have both.

If you play guitar, check out these picks. They really are amazing and do sound and play significantly differently than your stock music store picks. Thanks Vinni

No comments: