Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Amazing Grace

I finally saw the film Amazing Grace this past weekend. We took some members of the youth group to see it. While the film wasn't as good as I hoped, there were a few pieces that really struck me. William Wilburforce worked for
years and failed again and again and again at abolishing the slave trade. Yet, he stuck with it.
It seems to me that were he engaged in this activism today, we would label him a failure and move on to the next rising star. We asked the kids whether they would hang in there and keep battling for a cause after failing it for so many years. They gave a great answer - "it depends on the cause." So the question comes back to me... what causes are important enough that I'm willing to be a failure again and again but must not abandon no matter what?

No comments: