Thursday, January 26, 2006

Riding the Bus


Ok... I'm a Steelers fan. Not a rabid one, but a fan. I grew up in Pittsburgh and found my formation just before the glory days of the steel curtain. I was ready when Franco Harris, Joe Greene, etc. came along. My heart warms when I see a Steelers shirt, hat, or bumper sticker.

We've (see I said "we" even though I live in Santa Barbara!) had some good teams over the years but this one feels right. There still is a blue collar integrity to football played Steelers style and I think Jerome Bettis personifies that ethic. He was a franchise running back... one of the best in the history of the game but easily moved into a position as backup and elder statesman when that was what was best for the team. They have a long-tenured coach and lots of long tenured players in a time when many coaches and players play musical chairs as they move from one team to another every few years. They have a quarterback in Roethlisberger who would rather hang out with the guys at the pub that chase after silicone enhanced young women and live the lifestyle of a glamorous QB. They still don't have cheer leaders, after all, Steelers fans go to see football not, well, you know.

The Steelers are now on their way to Super Bowl XL in Bettis's home town of Detroit. I hope they win. It sounds like it could be a good game although many super bowls haven't been. And I have a church meeting scheduled for 5:30... just towards the end of the game Pacific time... do you think I should cancel the meeting?

3 comments:

Dave Miller said...

Yes of course you should. And go to a friend or a members house and enjoy the fellowship.

As for the game, my heart is for the Steelers, but I think the Seahawks might be a little too strong.

roy said...

actually I can't cancel the meeting... but maybe I won't have to go.
as for the winners, we'll know once the game is over;-)

stacey abshire said...

Call in sick..... :-) Our church actually does a Superbowl party, and we have a huge screen to watch it on. Pretty good outreach for the community.