Sunday, January 22, 2006

NAMM '06

For the past couple of years I've been able to wrangle a pass to NAMM - the big trade show for musical instrument merchandizers in Anaheim. It is a bizarre experience. It is HUGE with thousands of companies all pitching the newest biggest thing to music stre buyers, artists, etc. It is the very antithesis of music. The noise is oppresive... so much so that when you pick up your badge at the registration desk, they hand you ear plugs. One of the most popular booths was one where they were doing molds for custom ear plugs.

Then there are the people. I saw more silicone, more piercings, and more ink than I thought existed in the world. Gene Simmons (formerly of KISS) passed by a few times followed by a television camera, sound person, and an entourage. Many of the guitar, drum, and keyboard booths had "stars" signing autographs or performing. I didn't know who most of them were although many of the musicians who were performing were amazingly good. I did take a bunch of photos. Here are two of the most strange looking folk... I have no idea who or what they are.

I was there courtesy of the Lowden Guitar Company - wonderful people and the best guitars in the world (thanks George!). They brought with them a model from their new line - the 50 series that was one of the most beautiful guitars I've ever seen.
I played it too but it was too noisy to really hear it.


My friend Thomas Leeb was demonstrating Lowdens, playing his new F35 curly maple, and wowed the crowds with his amazing playing. It was fun watching the crowds. More than one person stood there with open mouth.

Alex DiGrassi spent a good deal of time at the booth too as he plays Lowden guitars and was picking up a new one. What a great guy.

I ran into a few friends and missed some others who were there. I also played two wonderful electric guitars - a Briggs and a Soloway. Either would be a great guitar to own. And I heard an amplifier that I would love to own - a Talos Basic. It was just wonderful sounding - maybe the best amp I've ever heard - organic and responsive.

The evening ended with a meal with the Lowden folk, lots of laughter, wine, food, and good fellowship. If the convention was the crass side of making music, that meal reflected the wonderful side - community. I hope I get to go again next year.

2 comments:

Suzanna said...

how fun! My son snagged a pass along with his friend to NAMM..... "Mecca" might be another word for it.
He's got a recording studio somewhere in his future...
What a treat for you!!

Jon Reid said...

Woo, two-hand fingerstyle!