Thursday, September 29, 2005

Santa Barbara weather wimps or more about me

We moved to Santa Barbara, CA from Albany, NY 3 years ago. While in Albany we sponsored a number of refugee families including one from the Ukraine who were Pentecostals. Viktor, the dad, once told me "You Americans have it too easy... it makes you weak."
Now that we live in SB, I really see it. The weather here is pretty much close to perfect. We do get fog a lot of mornings but the temperature is perfect virtually year round and it rarely rains (the climate is actually semi-arid). And boy does it turn people into weather wimps. When it goes into the 40's or even low 50's at night, people complain it is freezing. If the high hits 85 (with low humidity), it is much too hot. And you see the weirdest mixes of clothing - like a polarfleece jacket, Uggs, and shorts... or gloves and a watchcap with gym shorts and flipflops.
After only 3 years, I have to admit I've become one. Yesterday was hot (it hit 90 and beautiful) but it was cold last night (it went down to 48 with sparkling skies). Yep... I'm officially a Santa Barbara weather wimp! I think Viktor was right.

No comments: