Sunday, February 21, 2010

Stations of the cross

Did you know that the 40 days of Lent does not include Sundays? Blogging through The Orthodox Heretic leaves me with Sundays off... so I thought I share the Stations of the Cross from our church with you. They were painted by my daughter, Alexis, who also wrote the prayers. There are typically 14 stations although she also added "Resurrection." So each Sunday I'll share a few up until Easter.

The Stations of the Cross is a meditative exercise. I believe this is enhanced by the abstract images Alexis made. Let the image sit in your heart for a few moments and imagine the experience of Jesus during those final days of his life... then read the prayer Alexis wrote as she reflected on that station...

I hope you find the stations meaningful.

Opening Prayer:

Dear Creator – Thank you for your greatest miracle, and your greatest gift. I walk now, remembering your walk two thousand years before. My heart meditating on the world’s most awesome power, your love.
Amen.

First Station:
Jesus is Condemned to Die



Some will accuse and some will attack. When words come at me like swords, I pray for understanding of hurt hearts and of frightened minds. Give me strength to be wise, still my heart of confusion, give me clarity to see, and grant me peace to forgive.

Amen.


Second Station:
Jesus Takes His Cross



Along my journey there will be obstacles. Give me the strength to pursue my path. Give me courage to persist in life’s problems. Allow my eyes to be opened to the world and the communal struggles your people face. Give me courage to join together with my sisters and brothers to take up our communal crosses.

Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I work for the Center for Interfaith Studies and Dialogue at Nazareth College in Rochester NY.

If this does not go against your own belief system, we have an upcoming interfaith conference in April and was curious if you wouldn't mind blogging about it.

Thank you.

https://interfaith2010.naz.edu/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-deLbyJ0Vs