Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Oh Lord... we havin church!



We don't go to many concerts. As much as I believe one should support live music, they've just gotten too expensive and in Santa Barbara... well, everything costs even more here.

A church member gave us tickets and last night Chery & I went to see Mavis Staples. My Lord, what a concert. Sister Mavis has an incredible warmth that draws you in and an infectious faith that you can't help but fall into. She had an auditorium full of mostly middle aged, wealthy, white folk waving their hands and feeling the presence of a God who "does not sleep" but is always working. Amen.

She had a small but crack band - sister Yvonne on back-up vocals, the Rev. Wil Crosby on guitar, Tony Grady on bass, and Brian Parker on drums. The band was as hot and as tight as it could be and never for a moment did you wish for more musicians.

Yes, it felt like we were havin church! If you get a chance to see her, don't miss it. My only complaint was that it was a dual bill with Taj Mahal. While his performance was fine, most of his music doesn't do anything for me and I much rather would have had another 45 minutes with sister Mavis.

No comments: