Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Missing Church

In a blog a few days ago, I made some negative comments about those churches that are closing down on Christmas.

Since then I've had some discussion with a friend I made at Soliton this year - Angela. She has a keen mind and a wonderful spirit and I really enjoyed meeting her and beginning our relationship. She has raised some good questions for me regarding this issue and she has blogged on it too.

Anyway, it all got me thinking... what did this hook in me that gave me such a negative reaction. Angela mentioned that one year she and her husband were ill at Easter and missed church services but still felt as if they had had a good encounter with God at home(my paraphrase). Well, when I miss worship services on a Sunday regardless of the reason, my entire week is thrown off. Yes, I can worship alone or with my family but it is different when we are gathered together with brothers and sisters as "church." Plus, that whole rhythm thing for me comes into play. I need a rhythm of alone and together time. Sunday worship services are one of the key markers of the week for me.

When we lived in snow country, every couple of years we'd get a big snowfall on Saturday night into Sunday morning and I would get calls beginning about 6 on Sunday morning - "Are we closing church?" The only time I said "yes" was a year when the police shut down the roads to all but emergency traffic. Other than that, we had "church" even if I had to get there on my cross country skis and only a handful of people made it. I would tell folk, "if you feel it is too dangerous to go out, stay home, but we will be there for those who want to come." And for me, it was/is stronger than "want," it is "need."

So... we're having service on Christmas. I hope some folk come. I'll be there.

2 comments:

roy said...

Ryan,
I hear you about Sunday morning... except it is the time when the largest group of people are there so it makes sense to put considerable resources into making it right. Of course, you are correct that a life of faith shouldn't end with the blessing at the end of a worship service and all too often that is what we communicate.

roy said...

Hey Ryan,
Christmas eve was great... lots of singing and scriptures with no sermon beyond the visual of Mary arriving with a baby.
Christmas morning was good too although attendance was sparse. I don't understand why folk would not go to worship on one of the holiest days of the year.