Saturday, June 02, 2012

stereotypes & smiles

Stereotypes... they're everywhere.  Sometimes they're helpful, usually they have at least a little basis in fact or history, occasionally they're a bit funny.

Last night we had supper in a little Italian restaurant and the wait staff were wearing t-shirts with the following text on the back...

Heaven is where
The police are British
The cooks are Italians
The lovers are French
The mechanics are Germans
and it is all organized by the Swiss


Hell is where
The cooks are British
The mechanics are French
The lovers are Swiss
The police are Germans
and it is all organized by the Italians.

I have to say is made me smile even though we ate some amazing meals in England and I'm sure each of the other stereotypes clearly fall down in many individual cases... but as general observation, it may ring true... and I did laugh as I ate my chicken parm and drank a bottle of Tuscan wine.

No comments: