Sunday, April 19, 2009

up in smoke

We had a fire in our newly remodeled education building yesterday. In the morning we had had a wonderful program called "Dad's Day" where fathers of our nursery school children come with them to the school and do a variety of fun activities. It was a great success. The last teacher left at 12:40. At 1:13, neighbors across the street saw flames through a window and dialed 911.

Damage was significant to the building. Tomorrow we'll meet with insurance people and our architect to get an idea just how significant everyone agrees the damage to be. The new church offices which are attached to the ed building received smoke damage. We'll see what needs to be done there. I'm particularly concerned about my books...

The biggest issue will be the impact upon our nursery school. We serve about 60 families with an excellent program and have, IMHO, the best staff any nursery school could hope to have. We're hoping that licensing will allow us to finish the academic year using outdoor space and the sanctuary but that remains to be seen.

here are a few photos of some of the results...

this is a view of the kitchen area where the fire started.



somehow the flames got inside the refrigerator and melted the insides of it...



this table was outside the wall where the fire was hottest. You can see that it melted. Look closely and you will see a melted plastic chair that was sitting on top of the table.



and this one would be cool if it wasn't what it is... another plastic chair outside of the building that melted in this interesting fashion



and a light fixture inside the building...



Please keep the nursery school in your thoughts and prayers. It has been a significant ministry for the church through the years and has touched the lives of thousands of children.

7 comments:

Steve said...

Sorry to hear of the fire, Roy. Praying for your church and all involved.

roy said...

thanks Steve

Pastor Bob Cornwall said...

Roy,

I can see that this is a major loss. You're in my thoughts and prayers.

Bob

roy said...

thanks Bob. You'll appreciate that the News Press reported it as a fire at the Kellogg School and even had a photo of the ed building - presumably provided by the SBFPD - and still got the location wrong. Made the Kellogg School people happy this morning as they had to deal with worried & concerned parents.

Dave Miller said...

Roy, this sucks. My hopes and prayers are with you and your church.

That Baptist Ain't Right said...

Roy: Really sorry to hear the bad news. I'll be praying for you guys.

Dave Miller said...

Roy, with all the fire news, I hope you guys are alright.