Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Immigration and the Devil

I've only voted Republican once in my life. After reading this article, I'm even more embarassed to admit that one time. It seems the Utah State Republicans met recently and ended their state convention by debating the influence of Satan on illegal immigrants. Yep. You read that right.

The Daily Herald, a daily paper in central Utah, reports that
Don Larsen, chairman of legislative District 65 for the Utah County Republican Party, had submitted a resolution warning that Satan's minions want to eliminate national borders and do away with sovereignty.

In a speech at the convention, Larsen told those gathered that illegal immigrants "hate American people" and "are determined to destroy this country, and there is nothing they won't do."

Illegal aliens are in control of the media, and working in tandem with Democrats, are trying to "destroy Christian America" and replace it with "a godless new world order -- and that is not extremism, that is fact," Larsen said.


What in the world can you say to that?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow...that report is truly sad and unfortunate. I think it's funny that people still honestly believe that we live in "Christian America." But I do have to say that you seem to view this as a typical Republican view with the way you start out this post. Is it really fair to imply that all, or even most Republicans believe this way? I like to use the words "conservative" and "liberal" rather than "Republican" and "Democrat," but if I had to choose between the latter, I would say I am a Republican...and I can honestly say that I do not have the same view or belief that these guys in Utah have.

For what it's worth...:)

roy said...

you're absolutely right Matt, it is unfair to imply what I implied. I know that is not a typical Republican view... but that it would get debated at a arty convention at all really does amaze me... and not just te religious implications but also the racism implicit in misunderstanding why most undocumented aliens come. I was at a rather conservative Christian gathering in SoCal about a ear ago where one of the very cnservative evangelical speakers saiod that instead of calling them "illegal aliens," we should call them "good arents," as a significant majority are here in the US to try to support their families.

Dave Miller said...

Good stuff Roy. I'll probably use the article later this month when i update my previous posts on immigration.

I am not sure where it all breaks out on the Republican side vs. Democratic side, but I do know this. The Conservative American church, that is real quick to invoke Levitican Law and other assorted OT passages when it serves their purpose, is not usually real quick to bring up similar passages on the treatment of the alien in our midst and how we are to treat them as equals, or as one of us.

I am sure many will see this guys stand as extermist, but many otherwise God seeking Christians do believe that illegal immigrants are in fact trying to destroy America.