Saturday, December 09, 2006

Changing Evil

A Muslim friend of mine quoted their tradition the other day and the quote struck me. Forgive me if I don't get it exactly right...

When possible, change evil with you hands...
if you cannot change evil with your hands, use your tongue...
if you cannot change evil with your tongue, use your heart.
That is the least that is demanded by faith.


I'm struck that the quote goes backwards from my intuition. It seems that in each case, the force available is less than the instance before. What seems to be so is not also so. With each step, the individual is putting more of themselves into the task. Doing hand work requires less of a commitment than speaking out in public for what is right which requires less commitment than giving one's heart. It seems to me that it is rare that evil can be changed with your hands or your words... it is only when one is willing to give their heart that things change. And that is the least that is demanded by faith... your very self.

No comments: