Thursday, October 06, 2005

the demons among us and accountability

Yesterday I had lunch with my executive minister, the leader of the region that is pulling out of the denomination I'm part of.
I like Dale. I respect his commitment and his faith. I don't agree with him about some significant issues. His theology has caused a great deal of pain for GLBT folk and those who support them. Who knows, we may even have "irreconcilable theological differences."
Two things struck me from our talk. Dale has been draw with horns and a tail by many on my side of the issue. That is not fair and it is not helpful. While one may disagree completely with his views and understand his views as being destructive of the personhood of others, we still must look for the image of God in his face and search for the heart which, in his case, sincerely loves Jesus.
Second, we talked about accountability. I am struck by those on the right who speak of accountability and want to pass judgement on others without knowing them. This is not accountability because accountability requires relationship. We are not accountable to one another unless we really know and care about one another. Without relationship, accountability becomes nothing less than judgmentalism.
So my prayer for those on the left of the conflict - that we will cease characaturing those on the right who I pray will open their hearts and sit at table, getting to know and love those on the left before calling into question their faith.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it ironic how quickly it becomes "us" vs. "them"? I recognize this more often than I used to. When in reality, this gets all of us no where. I have never understood the importance of "we" or as Gareth would say "those of us" as I do in these times. We must continue to try and work together.

Dennis E. McFadden said...

Roy,

I recently used your name (along with several other ABC luminaries) as examples of very sharp, very fair critics of the right from the left side of the aisle. This post did not disappoint; you are incredibly fair and faithful, and a perfect dialog partner.

Dennis E. McFadden

Suzanna said...

I hope that the people behind the cause of split will reap a benefit. The Issue is about people isn't it? Is the disagreement about how to relate to a segment of your community? The issues around church community often are. If so, again, I hope that whoever is being faught for feels the love and support.

roy said...

Suzanna,
the presenting issue is homosexuality - does a homosexual person need to "change" before they can be fully functioning members of the Christian community. The underlying issues have to do with authority and interpretation of scripture. Those who are pulling out essentially are saying that the larger denomination is allowing some to flaunt what they believe are the clear teachings of scripture.

Suzanna said...

I thought that was it... I remember our exchange at Soliton, and appreciate this chance to continue the talk a bit... I'm thinking of a couple I know in Portland who are trying to fill in the gap there. They are reaching out to the gay community with no strings attached and are finding that some change their life around this identification. But that seems to be besides the point. It's the relation to Christ that matters. This couple lets the influence of scripture "do it's thing". Either way, they stay in relationship. Great example.